Thursday, September 29, 2011

Typhoon Pedring



We gave Pogi (it’s the name of our car) a change oil yesterday afternoon and while waiting, I picked up the newspaper at the lounge. The front page stunned me. It says how Manila Bay had been damaged by the tropical storm “Pedring” and about how Sofitel, a 5-star hotel, had been flooded and its guests evacuated. There have been a lot of storms that passed the country in my short life so far, but I’ve never heard of waves higher than coconut trees along Mania Bay. This is the first time.

I thought the wave description was an exaggeration. So due to curiosity and concern, I searched online for news about Pedring’s damage.

This video will show you how high the waves have been along Manila Bay, leaving much devastation.


It is really scary, isn’t it? I hope nobody drowned in these gigantic waves. :-/


Here are some pictures from different sources online:

Residents wade on waist deep flood brought by Typhoon Nesat, locally known as Pedring. This was taken in Tanza, Malabon city (source: ca.ibtimes.com)


Residents in a makeshift evacuation center in San Mateo Rizal (source: ca.ibtimes.com)


Mo Alamchandani via ANC 24/7: Sofitel Philippine Plaza, near Roxas Blvd.


Mall of Asia (MOA) after Pedring
Photo posted by Izumi Chan via Bayan Mo, iPatrol Mo: Ako ang Simula




Residents carrying a pig through knee-deep flood in San Mateo, Rizal on Tuesday
(source: newsinfo.inquirer.net)


According to ABS-CBN news, Pedring left at least 35 dead and 45 people still missing. :(



I called my Mom last night to check if our place in Bulacan was also affected, and I'm glad they're safe.

This is one of the reasons I am hesitant to go back and settle down with my family in Manila (on top of the traffic, polution, crimes, etc). We are lucky here in Cebu because we rarely get affected by typhoons. The first (and I hope the last) time I had a typhoon scare since I came to Cebu was during the typhoon “Milenyo” which brought strong winds and also left a lot of damage in Manila and other areas in Luzon. Although, lately we have our shares of flooding and heavy rains here, the effect is not as bad as it is in other regions in the Philippines. I hope and pray it stays that way. The weather has become really unpredictable and inclement these days.

For those of us who were not much affected, let’s be grateful to God and pray for those who have been devastated by the typhoon. Let’s also pray our country will be spared from future typhoons that will be coming to the Philippines.

I believe these calamities we have been experiencing lately are results of how we have treated Mother Nature. So let's also do our share to save the planet and pray it is not yet too late.

*Edit: October 5, 2011* As of this writing, more than a week after Pedring hit the country, towns in Pampanga and Bulacan are still submerged in flood waters due to typhoon Pedring. Let's help by sending donations and/or relief goods to NGOs, Red Cross and other donating bodies.



To Donate through Red Cross:

For Cash or Check Donations:

Account Name: Philippine Red Cross
Bank Name: Banco De Oro
Peso Account: 453-0018647
Type of Account: Savings

For SMS Donations

Text RED<>AMOUNT to 2899 (Globe) or 4143 (Smart)

G-Cash Donations

Text DONATE<>AMOUNT<>4-digit M-PIN<>REDCROSS to 2882

Note: "<>" = space

You can donate the following denominations:
Globe: 5, 25, 100, 300, 500 or 1000; Smart: 10, 25, 50, 100, 300, 500 or 1000

Other Red Cross Accounts:


Donations can also be deposited in Red Cross accounts, namely:
  • Allied Bank (1941-01347-1);
  • Banco de Oro (453-0018647);
  • Bank of the Philippine Islands (4991-0010-99);
  • Metrobank (151-3-04163122-8);
  • Philippine National Bank (3623-3680-0011); and
  • Union Bank of the Philippines (101540000201).




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haay Miss Joy! No matter how Manila is filled with all the glitz and glamour, I still feel like its not the best place to live in for now. :(
I'm sooo happy we don't get that much turmoil here in Cebu. ;p
Stay safe dear!

R. Joy de Leon said...

Hi Angeli! thanks! stay safe, too! I definitely agree with you. Cebu is a blessed island, really..I just hope it won't change. :)

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for checking out my post! :) Please feel free to leave me some <3 notes. (",)