Thursday, September 8, 2011

For the Love of Reading...


“He that loveth a book will never want for a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter”
- Isaac Barrow





Ever since I learned how to read when I was about 5 years old, I already fell in love with reading. I started with comics and short stories in magazines...I used to read "Liwayway" (any of you familiar with it?) and Funny Komiks (how about this one?). Too bad I already lost my copies, it would have been great to have a collection of these comics. I even read tagalog books before. =p I also remember that if I find something to read, even when me and my childhood friends were in the middle of some game, I will stop and read whatever it is that caught my attention, even if they would leave me..heheh! I guess that's also the reason why my vision is not 20/20 anymore and I have to use eyeglasses. I used to read books/novels even if there's a brownout and I won't sleep until I finish a good book that I started the same day.

My reading list back then included Nancy Drew (the old hardbound ones -- I used to go to the library just to borrow them..=p), Sweet Valley High, etc..then, it evolved to the thick ones mostly written by Julie Garwood and Jude Deveraux...and the genre expanded. I have started to collect my favorites but I still have a looooonnngg way to go to complete my collection. It is my dream to have a house with a big library in it full of books. ;)


Let me share with you a few of my favorites...

No matter what other people may say about this series, it will always be one of my favorites...These books made me cry especially when my favorite characters had to die..I also liked the unexpected revelations and twist in the end...Two thumbs up for J.K. Rowling! :)

Btw, if you're wondering where the first 4 books are, I left them in Bulacan...:( I thought I could bring them the last time I went home but they're so heavy I'm sure I'll pay for extra kilos...so I thought they would have to wait..I'll post a pic of them here when all of them are reunited. ;)




I love HP series so much that I just had to buy this, too. =p



I bought these after the last LOTR movie was out...I believe this is one of those few books that the movie version is as nice as the book. I can hardly wait for the movie "The Hobbit" =)



And this is one of those not...the 1st Percy Jackson movie version was a poor one. :( I do like this series though. I have read this around 3 or 4 times already. Books 2-4 were gifts and I bought book 5..I still have to buy the first book -- The Lightning Thief. I hope I can still find it somewhere. :)



I also like inspirational and "self-help" books...

* Don't sweat the Small Stuff -- this book has short stories and pointers on how to live your life without "sweating the small stuff".. =)

* Tuesday's with Morrie -- this is one of those books that touched me and made me cry...A teacher giving an old student the final lesson..about things that really matter in this life. :)

* The Twelfth Angel is one of the only 3 Og Mandino books I liked..and my favorite. The other 2 are The Gift of Acabar and the Spellbinder's Gift, I lost my copies to the termites. *sniff sniff*

* Jonathan Livingston Seagull -- I first read this book when I was in highschool. I don't have a copy so when I already can afford one, I just had to buy this. It is a really inspiring book about a seagull who dreamt of flying..and did everything to achieve his dream.



My poor book... :( This is the only book I've saved from the termites...They ate my other books at home (Bulacan). :'(



Bad termites..hmpf!!


In this age of technology, e-Books are more practical and accessible. I do read e-books at times, but you know what? I still prefer turning the pages of a good book...seeing how long you've gone and how many pages you still have to read...and I LOVE the smell of a new book...it's like the smell of coffee...it's heaven!!

I still have a few more favorites like Paulo Coelho's and Andrew Matthews' books. I'll share them with you next time. ;)


How about you? What are your favorite books? :)



========


P.S. Happy birthday, Mama Mary! (",)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for checking out my post! :) Please feel free to leave me some <3 notes. (",)